You can customize extra project columns for each project (and backlog) in Hansoft. Hansoft also comes with a variety of pre-created columns that easily can be activated.
- Assigned to/Assign tag: Used for assigning items to users in the schedule and backlog respectively)
- Category: Example of how a single choice drop list can be used to tag items to a certain feature area or defect type.
- CC new comments to: Tag people who should be notified via email when a new comment is posted on the item. Requires the server being configured to send out emails.
- Committed to sprint: On committed items shows which sprint the item has been committed to.
- Confidence: Standardised confidence drop list. Often used to signify confidence in estimation and/or amount of unknowns contained within the item.
- Database ID: Unique ID of the item. Database wide.
- Duration: Visible in the Gantt mode only. Shows the duration of a scheduled task or sprint in days.
- Estimated days: Team estimate of the item size in ideal working days.
- Finish: Visible in the Gantt mode only. Shows the end date of a scheduled task or sprint, or the set date for a release or milestone item.
- Hyperlink: Text field with hyperlink functionality. Often used to link to information outside of Hansoft.
- ID: Item ID only unique within the project.
- Last commented on: Name of the user who last commented on the item.
- Last updated by: Name of the user who last updated (edited) the item.
- Last updated on: Date and time when the item was last updated.
- Linked to item: Used to create bidirectional links between items in the same database.
- Originally created by: Name of the user who created the item.
- Originally created on: Date and time when the item was created.
- Pipeline, Kanban or Workflow: Name of the pipeline, kanban or workflow set on the item.
- Points: Team estimate of the item size in story points.
- Product backlog priority: Priority column used for backlog items.
- Release tag: Shows which releases the item is tagged to.
- Risk: Standardised risk drop list. Often used to signify the amount of risk the team is taking on by working on the item.
- Sprint priority: Priority column used for sprint backlog items.
- Start: Visible in the Gantt mode only. Shows the start date of a scheduled task or sprint.
- Status: Item status, can be either standard status or workflow status.
- Sub project path: The hierarchical path to the item. Shown when the hierarchy tree view is not visible (e.g in reports etc.).
- User story: Multiline text field used for entering user stories on items. Only visible on items tagged as user stories.
Custom columns types
- Text: Plain single text line, e.g “Item name"
- Multiline text: Edited in activity details window, in the same way as comments or user stories.
- Hyperlink: For external links in addition to the existing hyperlink field.
- Drop list: For list type columns, e.g “Feature type”, “Project area” etc. Can be single or multiple choice lists.
- Number: 1,2,3, will be summarized by top level items.
- Number with decimals: 1.0, 2.0, will be summarized by top level items.
- Date: 2008-05-16, can use date picker or manual entry.
- Date and time: 2008-05-16, filled in manually.
- Time Spent: Allows time tracking on individual tasks.
- People: Tag users or user groups.
Creating a custom column
To add a new column to a project go to the ‘More..’ menu in the project view and select ‘Customize project’. In the ‘Columns' tab click ‘Create column’. Select column name and type. For drop lists create the list items.
General Column Settings
When you edit a column there are three General settings (note that these settings are not editable for default columns):
- Name: This is the column name that all users will see and that will be available in reports and dashboards to filter on.
- Type: This defines how the column behaves and what extra options you will have for the column.
- Can be accessed by:
- All project members: Users that have an item delegated to them or are main managers can edit the values in the column.
- Members with delegated rights and main managers: Users that have an item delegated to them or are main managers can edit the values in the column.
- Main managers only: Even if you delegate a section of for example the backlog to a user, they will not be able to edit the value in this column if they are not main managers.
- Read only (overrides all other rules): No one can edit the value in the column from the Hansoft Client. This setting is useful if you are populating the column through the SDK instead or you would like to lock it down from further edits.
Advanced Column Settings
Under the ‘Advanced’ tab it is possible to set a tooltip for the column, which is typically used to describe the usage of the column. It is also possible to set a default value on the column which will then be filled in when creating a new item.
Under inheritance main managers can specify if data in the column should be inherited when inserting new items:
- Do not inherit - No data will be inherited when inserting new items.
- Inherit when not empty - New items will inherit the value from the item directly above it in the tree if that item contains a non empty value. If there is no value to inherit, the default value will be set. You can edit the default value when customizing your columns.
- Inherit when not empty (from parent) - New items will inherit the value from the parent item in the hierarchy if that item contains a non empty value. If there is no value to inherit, the default value will be set. You can edit the default value when customizing your columns.
- Always inherit - New items will inherit the value from the item directly above it in the tree.
- Always inherit (from parent) - New items will inherit the value from the parent item in the hierarchy.
Keep this column in view
The "Keep this column in view" option is available for the "Item/Activity name" default column. The "Item name" column can be found when browsing either the Planning section or the product backlog.
When selected, this option keeps the affected column in view at all times.
Right-click the "Item name" column to bring up the column drop-down menu.
Special functionality in drop list item type
You can auto assign an task, item or bug to someone dependent on the selected drop list items (this can be used to assign a task, item or bug dependent on classification for example):
The "Time spent" column's main purpose is to track how much time a user has spent on a specific task. This value can then be compared to the original estimate to see how accurate it was. Time spent is filled in manually by the assigned user.
To create a "Time spent" column go to your project, the schedule view, More..>Customize project... .
In the "Customize project..." window you can add new columns to your project.
Enabling the "Time spent" column in the To do list
There are a couple of prerequisites required in order to activate the "Time spent" column in the To do list. Start by creating a custom column of the type "Time spent" in your desired project. Remember to check the box "Use this column as Time spent column in To do list" while creating the custom column.
Note: If an item is part of a project that does not have a "Time spent" column(or if the column has not been activated), you will be unable to see time spent in your To do list.
The "Edit custom column" dialog